For scratches, better skin healing, and eczema and dermatitis.
he resins from calendula are a common addition to many high-end beauty products. In fact, I'd go as far as to say it's one of the most frequently use botanicals in skincare. And for good reason. Calendula is a wonderful traditional skin healer, and possibly my all-time favourite herb for the job. And as an added bonus, sweet almond oil is full of antioxidant vitamin E, which your skin will just love!
This simply ointment is perfect for small patches; for larger areas I recommend making a cream (recipe in my book) or a light lotion. While the method for this is super simple, you'll need a couple of weeks to infuse the oil.
30g dried Calendula flowers
1/2 cup sweet almond oil
12g unrefined beeswax
1. Grind you calendula in a coffee/spice grinder until fine, then pour into a sterile glass jar (plenty of tips on how to sterilise your own jars in my book).
2. Pour over the sweet almond oil, replace the lid, and shake until well combined.
3. Leave to infuse for 2-3 weeks in a warm, dark place.
4. Strain the mixture through cheesecloth. You'll need to have clean hands to start with and do plenty of squeezing to make sure you get as much oil out as you can. The solid herbal material can be discarded, or added to your compost.
5. Measure out 60ml (1/4 cup) of the infused oil into a small pyrex bowl. The rest can be stored in a clean glass jar or bottle in the fridge, for later use.
6. If you're using a block of beeswax, finely chop it; if you're using pellets there is no need to do this step.
7. Add the beeswax to the infused oil and place over a small saucepan with a little water in it. The water should not reach the base of the bowl. This 'water bath' method ensures that the mixture is heated gently. Heat over a medium flame.
8. Stir gently over the heat until the beeswax is completely melted and combined with the oil. Carefully pour into a sterile glass jar and leave to cool.
9. The ointment will solidify over 15-30 minutes. You can then replace the lid and store in the fridge for up to three months.
10. To use, apply a generous amount to skin as needed.