This yummy shakshuka recipe is a delicious way to get a big hit of greens in first thing. It’s perfect for those on a lower carbohydrate eating plan, and is packed with protein and healthy fat (in the form of olive oil) to keep you fuller for longer.
Serves two. One serve delivers 450kcal, and 19g protein.
2 tb extra virgin olive oil
1 small brown onion, peeled and thinly sliced
2 cloves garlic, crushed
300g baby spinach leaves
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp smoked paprika
1/2 tsp lemon juice
1/2 avocado, peeled and sliced
1 tsp mint leaves, finely chopped
1 tsp flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
pinch red chilli flakes
sea salt and pepper, to taste
1) Preheat the oven to 200 degrees Celsius.
2) Boil some water in a saucepan. Blanch the spinach for 20-30 seconds, then refresh in iced water. Remove from water, and then set aside on absorbent kitchen paper until excess moisture is removed.
3) Heat one tablespoon of the olive oil in a heavy-bottomed, oven-proof frying pan over a medium heat. Add the onion and cook for 3-4 minutes until soft. Lower the heat to its lowest setting, then add the garlic and continue to cook for at least five minutes, or until caramelised. Add the remaining oil, paprika, and cumin and stir for 20-30 seconds, until fragrant.
4) Add the wilted spinach to the frying pan with the onion, garlic, and spice mix. Add the lemon juice, then season with salt and pepper. Stir well until all is combined, then remove from heat.
5) Make two indents in the mix, and carefully crack the eggs into them. Place the frying pan in the oven and bake until the whites are set but the yolks still runny. This should take five minutes or so.
6) Top with chilli flakes, chopped parsley and mint, the avocado. Yum!