I’ll admit it: I used to think of cauliflower as being among the saddest of vegetables. It was bland. It was boring. That is until I put the steamer to one side and roasted it instead. Now it’s my FAVOURITE! The flavours are just so much richer when you roast it until it’s brown and almost caramelised. I’m a big fan, and it’s so healthy too!
In this recipe, I combine it with loads of antioxidant and anti-inflammatory spices, a mountain of fresh herbs (I use them more like a salad green than a garnish) and sweet little beads of pomegranate. All that is rounded out with a simple yoghurt, garlic, and lime dressing—delicious!
Serves four, with each serve providing 330kcal, 17g protein, 15g carbohydrate, and 14g unsaturated ‘good’ fats.
1 medium cauliflower, rinsed and cut into florets
80g flaked almonds
150g Greek yoghurt
flesh of one pomegranate
1 1/2 cups fresh mint, roughly chopped
1 1/2 cups flat-leaf parsley, roughly chopped
1/2 cup dill, roughly chopped
1 tsp fennel seeds
1 tsp coriander seeds
1 tsp cumin seeds
1 tb turmeric powder
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 tb extra virgin olive oil
1 tb fresh lime juice
sea salt and black pepper, to taste
1) Preheat oven to 200 degrees Celsius (or 180 fan-forced).
2) Place a small frypan over a medium heat and dry-roast the coriander, cumin, and fennel seeds for 60 seconds or until fragrant. Transfer to a mortar and pestle or spice grinder, and process until fine.
3) Combine this spice mix with turmeric and pour over the cauliflower in a bowl. Pour over the olive oil and use your hands to mix together and make sure everything is well coated.
4) Transfer to a roasting tray and place in the oven for an hour, or until browned.
5) Remove from oven, place the cauliflower in a bowl, and reduce heat to 150 degrees Celsius.
6) Scatter the almond flakes over a clean roasting tray and place in the oven for 3-5 minutes or until lightly brown. Remove and leave to cool.
7) In a serving bowl, combine the golden-spiced cauliflower with the fresh herbs, almonds, and pomegranate.
8) Add the lime juice, garlic, sea salt, and pepper to the yoghurt and mix well.
9) Pour over the yoghurt dressing and toss well before serving. Enjoy!