Got a sweet tooth but want to make sure your treats also pack a nutritional punch? These choc truffles are delicious, easy to make, and are a great go-to protein hit after a workout…or just whenever, really.
Each truffle is 133 calories, and contains 6 grams of protein but only 3 grams of sugar. Makes 8.
1/2 cup chocolate-flavoured whey protein (or plant-based alternative)
1/3 cup almond butter
1/4 cup almond meal
1 tb chia seeds
2 tb water
1 tsp vanilla extract (or contents of one vanilla pod, scraped)
90g sugar-free dark chocolate
pinch sea salt
1) Combine the whey protein, almond meal, and chia seeds in a large bowl.
2) Add the almond butter, vanilla, and water. Stir until well combined.
3) Use your hands to roll the mixture into eight balls of roughly even sizes.
4) Refrigerate for one hour, or pop in the freezer for twenty minutes, until firm.
5) Place a glass bowl over a saucepan containing a little water, to create a double boiler. Chop up the chocolate and place in the bowl. Over a medium heat, melt the chocolate.
6) One at a time, and using skewers, coat the protein balls in melted chocolate. Sprinkle with a little sea salt, then place on a clean plate and put them straight back into the fridge to set.
An alternative to the sea salt is a few slivered almonds, flaked almonds, or even a whole one. Enjoy!